Monday, January 23, 2012

New sewer, been some years - using Singer Traditional?

I have a new Singer sewing machine. Just the basic Traditional one.

I have rethread it 100 times and I'm still having issues. There seems to be no way it's already dirty or needing oil, since today is the first time it's ever been used!

I am having issues when the needle goes in for the 2nd or 3rd time...the machine jams, while the needle is still in the fabric. Half the time the bobbin area is jumbled with thread...but other times, whenever I pull it all out and restart, the threads - upper and lower - all come out just fine. I guess the lower thread and upper thread are getting tangled somehow.

I'm fairly certain that I'm putting the bobbin correctly. Could tension be the cause of this? Could it possibly be something else? I had a time with the tension on the actual bobbin housing...the little screw like head that you can turn to tighten or loosen the tension...but now it seems like no matter how loose or tight it is, it still jams.

Any ideas would be helpful. In the meantime, I'm going to watch the DVD on how to work this thing!

Thanks!New sewer, been some years - using Singer Traditional?
If you've been messing with the bobbin tension, that might be the problem or part of it. It's pretty delicate, very very rarely needs adjusting and when it does it's like a 1/4 turn or less. The top tension is the one you adjust 99.9% of the time. Are you sure you have the top thread correctly through the top tension stuff?New sewer, been some years - using Singer Traditional?
If you are sure you are threading both upper and lower threads right; try changing threads in both. Sometimes if the thread is old it can cause knots you can barely see, but still will cause jamming problems.

I had the same problem with my new machine; and found I was pulling the bobbin thread in the wrong direction into the feed dog. If no help in the manual; try calling their web site and asking. Singer is a great machine.
  • rachel zoe collection
  • mymathlab login
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment